Flower Bomb

So, after more than 6 months I managed to pick up my crochet hook again to make something new. I did do a few rows of a blanket in January, when my parents were here, but I don’t count that.  It was too rushed and I just did it for the sake of doing it, not really for the enjoyment of crochet, choosing colours and pattern and thinking about the modifications!  Now I’m doing it all!
I chose the Flower Crochet Amish Puzzle Ball, a free pattern by Dedri, from Look at What I Made. It’s colourful, it’s easy and I already have all the yarn I need to finish it. But more importantly, it’s a small motif pattern, so I can get bits of it done in the short intervals between Henry’s feed-play-sleep cycle.
I’m not really changing the pattern but for one detail.  At the beginning of the petals round, I don’t start with a loop and 2 chains as the pattern says.  I do an “air stitch”. I discovered I could start a stitch with a new strand of yarn without having to attach the yarn to the work. I didn’t invent this technique, and probably not it’s name either, but I like it. Here’s how I do it.

Start with a slipknot

Start with a slipknot

Then, carefully, wrap the yarn over the hook once (or as many times as required to make the stitch you want). Keep the slipknot firmly held in place.

Then, carefully, wrap the yarn over the hook once (or as many times as required to make the stitch you want). Keep the slipknot firmly held in place.

Insert the hook in the base stitch.

Insert the hook in the base stitch.

Yarn over and pull through the stitch...

Yarn over and pull through the stitch…

Flower Bomb 7

…nearly there…

... and finish the stitch as usual.

… and finish the stitch as usual.

When making my Rainbow Blanket I used the air stitch in the middle of a row of DC and left a long tail to hide well into the fabric.  It looks secure and since the next row was also DC only, there is no visible gap between end of yarn and beginning of new yarn, but I can’t swear by it because the blanket is not in use yet. Let’s see what the future brings. It works well in the beginning of a row, with no difference from attaching the new yarn directly to the work.


Clown’s Pants

Since I bought 9 balls of Rico Creative Cotton, one in each colour, to make baby shoes for Luiza, I’ve been tempted to play with colours. I love cushions, blankets and afghans made in colourful granny-squares I see on Ravelry. Joined together in cream or white, they have a bright and happy look, but are not too heavy on the eyes.

My problem is that I am not exactly the kind of person who matches blue and orange, or green and red and think it looks good. I’m not bold like that.  I go for the safe dark or plain coloured items. And never the bright colours, no sir, apart from some pink baby dresses and stuff like that, but always with some white or just shades of pink.

This week I had the perfect excuse. On Sunday I remembered I needed a birthday present and didn’t have a clue what to buy. I wouldn’t have time either. But the birthday girl loves tea pots and I promised her a cosy a while ago (not sure if she remembers, but I do). When I asked if she’d like colourful or plain she gave the right answer: colourful.

Well, this is what I made.

On the colourful side =D

A little flower on the top.

A button to hold things in place. 

Ok, I didn’t put as much white or beiges as I should have, but since it’s a small item I thought it would be fine like that. My other half said “it is as colourful as a clown’s pants”. Well, I have never seen a clown’s pants, but I imagine they might be, let’s say… not boring.

I’ve decided to make some coasters to go with it, as a set.

Matching coasters to make it complete

Matching coasters to make it complete

I made granny-flowers, from granny circles with scalloped edges. I like them. The colours match the sequence of colours I used in the pot cosy.

The cosy pattern I’ve found here and the coasters are from the same blog, this post.

I have detailed notes (well, on my own gibberish) on the project page on Ravelry because I loved it so much I want one, too. It is very bright, I know, but I think it goes well with the white tea pot. It was really difficult to photograph, though. The orange lit up so much I thought I wouldn’t have any decent photos to post. Lots of experience gained from this one.


7 steps to a little more happiness.

7 steps to a little more happiness.

I don’t usually like these mellow photos with nice quotes and messages that people put up on Facebook. They are far too sweet for me. But I think this one gives a good strategy for a more relaxed life. I’m determined to follow it because the results can only be good.